I’m a creative and ambitious master’s student with a genuine passion for design and engineering. I’m especially curious about their combination in the development of sustainable and quality solutions. I’ve been fortunate to have experience as an engineering intern, hospitality/retail employee, and graphic designer. I’m eager to apply this diverse experience and begin using my multi-functional knowledge from academia, as a graduate or junior in design and engineering.
University of Strathclyde: MEng Product Design Engineering, Graduate with Merit (Aug 17 - June 22)
IET, IMechE and iED accreddited degree - Faculty of Engineering Dean’s List in my fourth year.
Subjects: Design, manufacturing, and engineering management classes. Including: Industrial Design (e.g. CAD/UI/UX), engineering fundamentals (mechanical- & electrical-based), manufacturing techniques (e.g. Plastics/Metals/DFM/CAM) and engineering management (e.g. Lean Six Sigma).
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet – Exchange Semester in Mechanical Design & Innovation (Feb 20 - May 20)
Subjects: Robust Design of Mechanisms (Statistical Tolerance Analysis), Design of Plastic Products (Part & Mould Design), Innovation Pilot
Technical Skills 🧱
(*self-taught, ^4+ Years)
- Solidworks 2D/3D CAD^
- Solidworks Simulation (FEA)
- Keyshot 9 (CAD Visualisation)*
- Office 365 (especially Excel)*^
- Hand*^ & Digital Sketching*^
- Manual/Rapid Prototyping
- Adobe Illustrator*^
- Adobe Photoshop*^
Relevant Experience 👷
Spirit AeroSystems: Project Management / Engineering Intern (Jul 21 – Sep 21)
- In the Engineering department, the team were tasked with automating the project performance reporting workflow and developing a data visualisation tool. I had to be proactive and adapt quickly since I lacked direct experience in these areas.
- I was primarily responsible for leading and managing the team. This was conducted through daily meetings, task definition/allocation, and maintenance of a project plan. I was also responsible for guiding the development of the software tools and supporting programming in VBA and DAX.
- Final deliverables included an Excel-based tool capable of importing/cleansing MS Project plans with 400+ rows and a dynamic visualisation dashboard in Power BI. The team produced the deliverables above the company’s expectations – in a timely and professional manner.
University of Strathclyde: Bachelor's Project, Modular Automotive Headlamp (Sep 20 - May 21)
- Mechanical design & development of a modular automotive headlamp. This included project management, an extensive research phase (e.g. Literature Review), concept development and selection, DFMA/DFS, detailed CAD, FEA, a case for manufacturing/sustainability and costing. Delivered 45k+ words, a ~60-part CAD assembly, and a 70-page portfolio w/ technical drawing pack. (71%)
Mitchmaking, Personal Graphic and Motion Design Projects (2016 - Passive)
- 10+ personally sought branding and motion design projects for a variety of clients including a drinks manufacturer (Rhythm Health), music artist (Module) and a dental clinic. Type of work includes logo/leaflet/business card design and an animation promoting a product launch to Sainsbury’s stores.
- I continually learn to manage my own time and effort when there are multiple active projects. As a result, I feel more creative, confident, and self-motivated when tasked with individual workloads. This is especially relevant to fulfilling personal responsibilities in group projects at university.
South Ayrshire Council, Leisure Attendant / Lifeguard (June 18 – Sep 19)
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring a section of the pool; whilst encouraging a fun & safe environment for all bathers. Whilst off poolside, tasks included deep cleaning and assembling/disassembling equipment for hall bookings.
- Required an attentive mindset and strong team relationship that ensured all distractions were avoided and eliminated.
- I feel more confident working as a team member in fulfilling responsibilities under pressure and can better appreciate the importance of active communication; especially making all uncertainties known to the team.
Qualifications & Achievements 🏆
- Dassault Systèmes: Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate in Mechanical Design (Issued Feb 2022)
- University of Strathclyde: Faculty of Engineering Dean’s List for merit (Issued Oct 2021)
- RLSS: National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (Issued Dec 2017)
- Boys’ Brigade: Queen’s Badge, highest accolade & 12 years of service (Issued May 2017)
- SQA: 5 Scottish Higher Qualifications in my 5th year, AAABB (Issued Aug 2016)
- Boys’ Brigade: President’s Badge, 11 years service (Issued May 2016)
- SQA: 8 National 5 Qualifications in my 4th year, AAAAAAAB (Issued Aug 2015)
Hobbies & Interests 🏀
Cycling is one of my favourite past times and is an effective form of reflection on the other aspects of my life. Cycling is a useful means of clearing my mind of all stressors; allowing for essential rest and rejuvenation. I've found this to improve my work ethic during term-time at University. Especially since co-founding and performing a temporary secretary role in the Strathclyde University Road Club, where I planned for weekend outings and other activities. Alongside participating in the weekly training and road cycle program.
I played Bagpipes in the 1st Troon Boys’ Brigade Pipe Band, working my way up to Pipe Sergeant in my final year, 2016. We won all major competition titles - Scottish, British and European in 2012, and World Championships in 2016. Following this was an invitation to China in 2013 to play in a series of festivals in Liuzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai. I continue to play my own set of bagpipes in my free time and for friends and family.
I use Graphic Design throughout my personal and academic life as a method of improving the communication and presentation of ideas and various works. I also employ graphic design as a service - designing logos, business cards, flyers and more. This past time helps me to exercise my creativity and problem-solving abilities.