I’m a creative and motivated University Graduate with an unwavering passion for Design, Engineering and the combination of both in manufacturing sustainable & impactful products. I’ve been fortunate to have experience as a world champion Bagpiper, employee in various part-time positions, and branding/graphic designer for various clients. I’m eager to apply the soft/hard skills gained from these experiences and begin utilising the technical and practical knowledge that University has afforded me, in a full-time position starting 2022.
2017-2021: Strathclyde University – BEng (Hons) Product Design Engineering
First Class Honours achieved, graduated July 2021
Subjects: Design, Manufacturing, and Engineering Management classes. Including: Industrial Design (CAD/Interaction/Emotion), Engineering Disciplines (Mechanics/Thermodynamics/Electronics), Mechatronics, Eng. Materials, Manufacturing (CAM/Production Techniques) and Engineering Management
Feb-May 2020: Danmarks Tekniske Universitet – 2nd Semester Exchange
Subjects: Design of Plastic Products (inc. DFMA), Robust Design of Mechanisms, Innovation Pilot
🧱 Technical Skills
(*self-taught, †4+ Years)
- Solidworks 2D/3D CAD † (FEA)
- Solidworks Plastics (Flow Sim.)
- MS Office 365 (Especially Excel)*
- Keyshot 9 (CAD Visualisation)*
- Sketching*† & Rendering*†
- Hand and Rapid Prototyping
- Adobe Illustrator*†
- Adobe Photoshop*†
- Adobe InDesign*†
👷 Relevant Experience
Spirit AeroSystems, Project Management / Engineering Intern: 7th July – 17th Sep 2021
- Project Manager and Data Analyst in the Engineering department at Spirit AeroSystems Prestwick. The 2-person team were tasked with automating the process reporting project performance data from MS Project, and the development of a data visualisation tool in Power BI.
- Responsibilities included the management of the team through daily meetings and the use of project management tools (e.g. MS Project plan). Assistance was also given in the VBA programming of an Excel-based tool for cleansing data from MS Project to the Power BI platform.
- Final deliverables included an Excel-based tool capable of importing and cleansing MS Project plans with 400+ rows, and a dynamic Power BI dashboard template to visualise key data points from the cleansed project plans. The team delivered the tools to specification and on time.
Individual Bachelor’s Project, Redesign of an Automotive Headlamp: September 2020 - May 2021 (71%)
- Product Design & Development of a modular Passenger Car Headlamp, including: Project Management, Extensive Research phase (Literature Review, State-of-the-Art), Concept Development/Selection, DFMA/DFS, Robust Design, CAD Development, FEA, Review of Headlamp’s Manufacturability/Sustainability and Costing
Mitchmaking, Personal Graphic and Motion Design Projects: 2016 - Present
- 10+ personally sought branding and motion design projects for a variety of clients including a drinks manufacturer (Rhythm Health), DJ duo (Module) and a dental clinic. Type of work includes logo/leaflet/business card design and an animation promoting a product launch to Sainsbury’s stores.
- I continually learn to manage my own time and effort when there are multiple active projects. As a result, I feel more creative, confident, and self-motivated when tasked with individual workloads.
South Ayrshire Council, Leisure Attendant / Lifeguard: 2nd June 2018 – September 2019
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring a section of the pool; whilst encouraging a fun & safe environment for all bathers. Whilst off poolside, tasks included deep cleaning and assembling/disassembling equipment for hall bookings.
- Required an attentive mindset and strong team relationship that ensured all distractions were avoided and eliminated.
- I feel more confident working as a team member in fulfilling responsibilities under pressure and can better appreciate the importance of active communication; especially making all uncertainties known to the team.
🏆 Qualifications & Achievements
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification renewal - Received January 2020
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification - Received December 2017
- Boys’ Brigade, Queen’s Badge (Highest Accolade & 12 yrs. Service) - Received May 2017
- 5 Scottish Higher Qualifications in my 5th year (AAABB) - Received August 2016
- Boys’ Brigade, President’s Badge (& 11 yrs. Service) - Received May 2016
- 8 National 5 Qualifications in my 4th year (AAAAAAAB) - Received August 2015
🏀 Hobbies & Interests
I played Bagpipes in the 1st Troon Boys’ Brigade Pipe Band, working my way up to Pipe Sergeant in my final year, 2016. We won all major competition titles - Scottish, British and European in 2012, and World Championships in 2016. Following this was an invitation to China in 2013 to play in a series of festivals in Liuzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai. I continue to play my own set of bagpipes in my free time and for friends and family.
Cycling is one of my favourite past times and is an effective form of reflection on the other aspects of my life. Cycling is a useful means of clearing my mind of all stressors; allowing for essential rest and rejuvenation. I've found this to improve my work ethic during term-time at University. Especially since co-founding and performing a temporary secretary role in the Strathclyde University Road Club, where I planned for weekend outings and other activities. Alongside participating in the weekly training and road cycle program.
I use Graphic Design throughout my personal and academic life as a method of improving the communication and presentation of ideas and various works. I also employ graphic design as a service - designing logos, business cards, flyers and more. This past time helps me to exercise my creativity and problem-solving abilities.