I’m a creative and motivated undergraduate student with an unwavering passion for design, engineering and the combination of both in manufacturing robust solutions. I’ve been fortunate to have experience as an engineering intern, part-time employee in hospitality/leisure, and graphic designer for several clients. I’m eager to apply the transferrable skills gained from these experiences and begin utilising my technical and practical knowledge from University, as a full-time graduate.
2017-2021: Strathclyde University – MEng (Hons) Product Design Engineering
Pass at Distinctionachieved in my 4th Year (2020/21), expected graduation in June 2022 (1:1)
Subjects: Design, Manufacturing, and Engineering Management classes. Including: Industrial Design (CAD/Interaction/Emotion), Engineering Disciplines (Mechanics/Thermodynamics/Electrical), Mechatronics, Engineering Materials, Manufacturing (CAM/Production Techniques) and Engineering Management
Feb-May 2020: Danmarks Tekniske Universitet – 2nd Semester Exchange
Subjects: Design of Plastic Products (Part & Mould Design), Robust Design of Mechanisms (Statistical Tolerance Analysis), Innovation Pilot
🧱 Technical Skills
(*self-taught, †4+ Years)
- Solidworks 3D CAD (inc. Simulation)†
- Solidworks Surface Modelling
- Solidworks 2D CAD (GD&T)
- Microsoft Office 365 Suite (especially Excel)*†
- Hand & Rapid Prototyping proficiency (3D/Laser)
- Hexagon EDGECAM (Computer-aided Manufacture)*
- Adobe Illustrator*†
- Adobe Photoshop*†
- Adobe InDesign*†
👷 Relevant Experience
Spirit AeroSystems, Project Management / Engineering Intern: 07/21 – 09/21
- Project Manager and Data Analyst in the Engineering department. The 2-person team were tasked with automating the Project Performance reporting workflow, and the development of a data visualisation tool. I had to be proactive and adapt quickly due to my lack of expertise in this area.
- Responsibilities included the management of the team through daily meetings and the use of project management tools (inc. Project Plan), ensuring constant communication was maintained throughout. Assistance was also given in VBA programming of an Excel-based tool.
- Final deliverables included an Excel-based tool capable of importing/cleansing MS Project plans with 400+ rows, and a dynamic visualisation dashboard in Power BI. The team delivered the tools on time and to specification – in a professional manner.
Individual Bachelor’s Project, Redesign of an Automotive Headlamp: 09/20 - 05/21 (Grade: 71%)
- Mechanical Design & Development of a modular Passenger Car Headlamp, including: Project Management, Extensive Research phase (Literature Review, State-of-the-Art), Concept Development/Selection, DFMA/DFS, CAD Development, FEA, Case for Manufacturability/ Sustainability and Costing. Delivered 2 Reports (45k+ words) & Portfolio including technical drawing pack.
Mitchmaking, Personal Graphic and Motion Design Projects: 2016 - Present
- 10+ personally sought branding and motion design projects for a variety of clients including a drinks manufacturer (Rhythm Health), DJ duo (Module) and a dental clinic. Type of work includes logo/leaflet/business card design and an animation promoting a product launch to Sainsbury’s stores.
- I continually learn to manage my own time and effort when there are multiple active projects. As a result, I feel more creative, confident, and self-motivated when tasked with individual workloads.
South Ayrshire Council, Leisure Attendant / Lifeguard: 06/18 – 09/19
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring a section of the pool; whilst encouraging a fun & safe environment for all bathers. Whilst off poolside, tasks included deep cleaning and assembling/disassembling equipment for hall bookings.
- Required an attentive mindset and strong team relationship that ensured all distractions were avoided and eliminated.
- I feel more confident working as a team member in fulfilling responsibilities under pressure and can better appreciate the importance of active communication; especially making all uncertainties known to the team.
🏆 Qualifications & Achievements
- University of Strathclyde: Faculty of Engineering Dean’s List for merit (Received Oct 2021)
- RLSS: National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (Received Dec 2017)
- Boys’ Brigade: Queen’s Badge, highest accolade & 12 years of service (Received May 2017)
- SQA: 5 Scottish Higher Qualifications in my 5th year, AAABB (Received Aug 2016)
- Boys’ Brigade: President’s Badge, 11 years service (Received May 2016)
- SQA: 8 National 5 Qualifications in my 4th year, AAAAAAAB (Received Aug 2015)
🏀 Hobbies & Interests
I played Bagpipes in the 1st Troon Boys’ Brigade Pipe Band, working my way up to Pipe Sergeant in my final year, 2016. We won all major competition titles - Scottish, British and European in 2012, and World Championships in 2016. Following this was an invitation to China in 2013 to play in a series of festivals in Liuzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai. I continue to play my own set of bagpipes in my free time and for friends and family.
Cycling is one of my favourite past times and is an effective form of reflection on the other aspects of my life. Cycling is a useful means of clearing my mind of all stressors; allowing for essential rest and rejuvenation. I've found this to improve my work ethic during term-time at University. Especially since co-founding and performing a temporary secretary role in the Strathclyde University Road Club, where I planned for weekend outings and other activities. Alongside participating in the weekly training and road cycle program.
I use Graphic Design throughout my personal and academic life as a method of improving the communication and presentation of ideas and various works. I also employ graphic design as a service - designing logos, business cards, flyers and more. This past time helps me to exercise my creativity and problem-solving abilities.