I’m a creative and motivated University Graduate with an unwavering passion for Design, Engineering and the combination of both in manufacturing sustainable & impactful products. I’ve been fortunate to have experience as a world champion Bagpiper, employee in various part-time positions, and branding/graphic designer for various clients. I’m eager to apply the soft/hard skillsgained from these experiences and begin utilising the technical and practical knowledge that University has afforded me, in a full-time position starting 2021.
2017-2021: Strathclyde University – BEng (Hons) Product Design Engineering
First Class Honours achieved, graduated July 2021
Subjects: Design, Manufacturing, and Engineering Management classes. Including: Industrial Design (CAD/Interaction/Emotion), Engineering Disciplines (Mechanics/Thermodynamics/Electronics), Mechatronics, Eng. Materials, Manufacturing (CAM/Production Techniques) and Engineering Management
Feb-May 2020: Danmarks Tekniske Universitet – 2nd Semester Exchange
Subjects: Design of Plastic Products (inc. DFMA), Robust Design of Mechanisms, Innovation Pilot
🧱 Technical Skills
(*self-taught, †4+ Years)
- Solidworks 2D/3D CAD † (FEA)
- Solidworks Plastics (Flow Sim.)
- Sketching*† & Rendering*†
- Keyshot 9 (CAD Visualisation)*
- MS Office 365 (Especially Excel)*
- Hand and Rapid Prototyping
- Adobe Illustrator*†
- Adobe Photoshop*†
- Adobe InDesign*†
👷 Relevant Experience
Spirit AeroSystems, Project Management / Engineering Intern: 7th July – 17th Sep 2021
- Project Manager and Data Analyst in an engineering team at Spirit AeroSystems. The team are tasked with the development of an automated project performance dashboard which integrates input data from MS Project/Excel with the MS Excel/Power BI platforms for streamlined reporting of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Responsible for the management of the team through daily meetings and the use of project management tools. Primarily, a detailed project plan (w/ Gantt Chart) is kept up-to-date and schedule variance (SV) is reported to the company focal including other stakeholders.
- Responsible for the functional definition of the dashboard and development of its User Interface (UI) in MS Project, Excel and Power BI. Regular stakeholder testing is conducted throughout.
Individual Bachelor’s Project, Redesign of an Automotive Headlamp: September 2020 - May 2021 (71%)
- Product Design & Development of a modular Passenger Car Headlamp, including: Project Management, Extensive Research phase (Literature Review, State-of-the-Art), Concept Development/Selection, DFMA/DFS, Robust Design, CAD Development, FEA, Review of Headlamp’s Manufacturability/Sustainability and Costing
Mitchmaking, Personal Graphic and Motion Design Projects: 2016 - Present
- 10+ personally sought branding and motion design projects for a variety of clients including a drinks manufacturer (Rhythm Health), DJ duo (Module) and a dental clinic. Type of work includes logo/leaflet/business card design and an animation promoting a product launch to Sainsbury’s stores.
- I continually learn to manage my own time and effort when there are multiple active projects. As a result, I feel more creative, confident, and self-motivated when tasked with individual workloads.
South Ayrshire Council, Leisure Attendant / Lifeguard: 2nd June 2018 – September 2019
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring a section of the pool; whilst encouraging a fun & safe environment for all bathers. Whilst off poolside, tasks included deep cleaning and assembling/disassembling equipment for hall bookings.
- Required an attentive mindset and strong team relationship that ensured all distractions were avoided and eliminated.
- I feel more confident working as a team member in fulfilling responsibilities under pressure and can better appreciate the importance of active communication; especially making all uncertainties known to the team.
🏆 Qualifications & Achievements
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification renewal - Received January 2020
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification - Received December 2017
- Boys’ Brigade, Queen’s Badge (Highest Accolade & 12 yrs. Service) - Received May 2017
- 5 Scottish Higher Qualifications in my 5th year (AAABB) - Received August 2016
- Boys’ Brigade, President’s Badge (& 11 yrs. Service) - Received May 2016
- 8 National 5 Qualifications in my 4th year (AAAAAAAB) - Received August 2015
🏀 Hobbies & Interests
I played Bagpipes in the 1st Troon Boys’ Brigade Pipe Band, working my way up to Pipe Sergeant in my final year, 2016. We won all major competition titles - Scottish, British and European in 2012, and World Championships in 2016. Following this was an invitation to China in 2013 to play in a series of festivals in Liuzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai. I continue to play my own set of bagpipes in my free time and for friends and family.
Cycling is one of my favourite past times and is an effective form of reflection on the other aspects of my life. Cycling is a useful means of clearing my mind of all stressors; allowing for essential rest and rejuvenation. I've found this to improve my work ethic during term-time at University. Especially since co-founding and performing a temporary secretary role in the Strathclyde University Road Club, where I planned for weekend outings and other activities. Alongside participating in the weekly training and road cycle program.
I use Graphic Design throughout my personal and academic life as a method of improving the communication and presentation of ideas and various works. I also employ graphic design as a service - designing logos, business cards, flyers and more. This past time helps me to exercise my creativity and problem-solving abilities.