I’m a creative and motivated undergraduate student with an unwavering passion for Design, Engineering and the combination of both in manufacturing sustainable & impactful products. I’ve been fortunate to have experience as a world champion Bagpiper, employee in various part-time positions, and branding/graphic designer for various clients. I’m eager to apply the soft/hard skills gained from these experiences and begin utilising the technical and practical knowledge that University has afforded me, in a full-time internship starting summer 2021.
2017-2021: Strathclyde University – 4th Year BEng (Hons) Product Design Engineering
1st, 2nd & 3rd year pass at merit (2:1) standard, expected graduation June 2021
Subjects: Design, manufacturing, and engineering management classes. Including engineering principles: Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Mechatronics, and Robotics
Feb-May 2020: Danmarks Tekniske Universitet – 2nd Semester Exchange
Subjects: Robust Design of Mechanisms, Design of Polymer Products, Innovation Pilot
(*self-taught, 3+ Years)
- Solidworks (2D/3D CAD)
- Solidworks FEA
- Sketching & Rendering*
- Keyshot 9* (CAD Visualisation)
- MS Excel*
- 3D/Laser Printing experience
- Adobe Illustrator*
- Adobe Photoshop*
- Adobe InDesign*
Mitchmaking, Personal Graphic and Motion Design Projects: 2016 - Present
- 10+ personally sought branding and motion design projects for a variety of clients including a drinks manufacturer (Rhythm Health), DJ duo (Module) and a dental clinic. Type of work includes logo/leaflet/business card design and an animation promoting a product launch to Sainsbury’s stores.
- I continually learn to manage my own time and effort when there are multiple active projects. As a result, I feel more creative, confident, and self-motivated when tasked with individual workloads.
South Ayrshire Council, Leisure Attendant / Lifeguard: 2nd June 2018 – September 2019
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring a section of the pool; whilst encouraging a fun & safe environment for all bathers. Whilst off poolside, tasks included deep cleaning and assembling/disassembling equipment for hall bookings.
- Required an attentive mindset and strong team relationship that ensured all distractions were avoided and eliminated.
- I feel more confident working as a team member in fulfilling responsibilities under pressure and can better appreciate the importance of active communication; especially making all uncertainties known to the team.
Maharani Restaurant, Waiter / Barman / Dishwasher: 18th September 2014 - 2017
- Regular jobs included taking orders, waiting tables, cleaning & re-setting tables and handling takeaway orders.
- I found it difficult to focus on many areas of the restaurant but really enjoyed the responsibility and challenge, gaining a greater appreciation for verbal communication between employees.
Qualifications & Achievements
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification renewal - Received January 2020
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification - Received December 2017
- Boys’ Brigade, Queen’s Badge (Highest Accolade & 12 yrs. Service) - Received May 2017
- 5 Scottish Higher Qualifications in my 5th year (AAABB) - Received August 2016
- Boys’ Brigade, President’s Badge (& 11 yrs. Service) - Received May 2016
- 8 National 5 Qualifications in my 4th year (AAAAAAAB) - Received August 2015
Hobbies & Interests
I played Bagpipes in the 1st Troon Boys’ Brigade Pipe Band, working my way up to Pipe Sergeant in my final year, 2016. We won all major competition titles - Scottish, British and European in 2012, and World Championships in 2016. Following this was an invitation to China in 2013 to play in a series of festivals in Liuzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai. I continue to play my own set of bagpipes in my free time and for friends and family.
Cycling is one of my favourite past times and is an effective form of reflection on the other aspects of my life. Cycling is a useful means of clearing my mind of all stressors; allowing for essential rest and rejuvenation. I've found this to improve my work ethic during term-time at University. Especially since co-founding and performing a temporary secretary role in the Strathclyde University Road Club, where I planned for weekend outings and other activities. Alongside participating in the weekly training and road cycle program.
I use Graphic Design throughout my personal and academic life as a method of improving the communication and presentation of ideas and various works. I also employ graphic design as a service - designing logos, business cards, flyers and more. This past time helps me to exercise my creativity and problem-solving abilities.